Monday 15 March 2010

The Princess Bride By William Goldman (4/5)


I can understand Goldman discussing his desire to edit a book to just the 'good parts' as I have felt like doing it to quite a few books in my youth! I loved the story and felt that it's simplicity was beautifu, particularly when coupled with unpredictable plot twists! : ) I loved the way all of the characters thought, and found them to be painfully human. Whilst at the same time finding them completely annoying for their attitudes and actions... But most humans annoy me anyway, hehe. I loved Buttercup's bravery, but her stubborn streak and superior attitude made me want to smack her in the head.

I love the way that the 'bad guys' are not always the bad guys. And the heroes are not always heroic. All the characters are acting selfishly to serve their own ends. But in the end isn't that what most people do on a daily basis?

I do agree with Mr Goldman Sr with some of the adjustments. Some things are better with the nasty parts cut out... Both for timid children and cowardly grown ups. The cliffhanger may just be the end of me. But I can understand the claim of Morgenstern's apparent desire to add one last satirical twist! : )

I firmly believe that the scene when Buttercup finally realises her feelings for "Farm Boy", the entire thought process she goes through is hysterical, as is her rant at him. She is so melodramatic, and it is very entertaining.

Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

0 comments:

Post a Comment