Monday 15 March 2010

The Demon's Lexicon By Sarah Rees Brennan (4.5/5)



I adore this woman's writing and have for a long time. It was a few years ago now I vowed to read anything she ever wrote, even if it was a menu. : )

This book didn't let me down, she has an amazing skill for characterisation and building up tension. As well as a brilliant knack for creating characters whose lack of skill at communicating their emotions makes them lash out sometimes.

I loved the twist at the end and even though I noticed all of the clues it still took me by surprise. I love the character of Jamie and think the world would be a better place if more people were like him. His witty, quick lines intended to break the tension were glowing, comedy moments in the book, and I looked forward to every scene with him in.

I was drawn in to Nick's perspective and felt for him a lot, even if I couldn't actually relate to him because well, he isn't addicted to reading. : ) I could very happily have Alan as my book shop guy any day of the week. And I feel so much for Mae, because I know in that situation I wouldn't exactly know what to do either!

I can't wait for the sequel and I hope that each of these characters gets flushed out more for my utter enjoyment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment