Monday 15 March 2010

Leviathan By Scott Westerfeld (4/5)


I liked it. It wasn't a gripping page turning thriller, but I did enjoy it, and read it quickly. The lead characters were brilliant, as were their individual stories and deceptions. I absolutely adored the blending of old and new technology, it was well thought out and rather fascinating. I loved the parts that included alternate history, although having to re study WWI after not thinking about it in a few years was rather distracting. I had to try and recall the actual history to figure out what Westerfeld had changed! Just because i'm too much of a geek to accept it as given.

It did take my head QUITE a while to understand the scientific principle of it all, since the two worst things I studied at school were biology & technology. : ) But when I got used to the terminology it was a lot easier to visualise what the text was trying to describe.

The book did seem a lot like the start of a trilogy, not a great deal happened after the characters were established and flushed out, but they were very likable, whilst still seeming complicated, and their tales were interesting ones. I can't wait for the next book to find out what other trials these characters face. I do think the book could have benefited from more humour though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment