Tuesday 25 May 2010

The Demon's Covenant By Sarah Rees Brennan (4.5/5)

The first thing I have to gush about in this review is how much I adore this author's witty humour and wonderful writing, the banter between the characters is always entertaining and fun to read. I swore a long time ago that I would read everything she wrote, even if it was a menu. I'm sure that the menu would be a great read! In fact I recall her discussing Muffins, Sandwiches & Pastries in a blog post once ; )

I thought this book was even better than the first. I felt that I got to know the characters a lot more and I found myself strongly liking all four of the main characters and understanding their motivations a lot more than I could in the first book. My connection with Mae in particular was a lot stronger, this was due in main part to the book being written in her point of view. She is smart, tough and a very loyal and caring friend. I found myself loving her attitude and really believing in what she could do, even if she does seem a little impulsive and callous at times. I could relate to why she was acting the way that she was in each situation now that I could see the world from behind her eyes. Her emotional understanding about her true romantic feelings at the end of the book were touching and well done. For such a strong, wilful character this could have been handled badly, but throughout it she kept her strength and kept my respect for her character. This wouldn't have been the case if I felt her character had rapidly shifted, but throughout all of her pain I thought she remained essentially the strong wonderful girl she was. I enjoyed the developing relationship between her and Sin a great deal. Since Sin is going to be such an important character in the next book I loved the insight we got of her through Mae's perspective.

I also felt a greater understanding for Alan in this book. The flashbacks via his dad's diary were either heart warming or heart breaking with very little in the middle and they made me feel for Alan more than anything else. The thought of him as a child going through what he's gone through, and being, at all times, a caring, loving brother. It was just wonderful writing. The flashbacks were some of my favourite parts, especially when their dad starts to see Nick through Alan's eyes. The change in his opinion is so gradual that you can't see it happening, but real life is like that. You can never pinpoint the moment when you truly started feeling an emotion, you only realise when you've been held under it's influence for quite a while. The writing was so brilliant in these scenes that I felt I could lie down and snuggle into them. They were so tactile and real, I loved them ever so much.

Nick broke my heart. He broke it and smushed it and yet I still cared, I cared so strongly for a Demon who would never be able to appreciate it and yet I cared anyway. The parts of the book in which he was trying to learn how to act human were great reading and yet made me hurt so much. He doesn't understand what people's feelings or motivations are, he can't comprehend affection, even when it is directed at him. He also thinks he isn't capable of feeling these things. The brief periods in this book where he shows he cares, without always even knowing it made my chest swell with adoration and pride. He doesn't seem to notice that he is capable of love and affection, he loves Alan, he loves his brother fiercely and would do anything for him. The fact that he can't see this hurts me muchly. I just want to shake him and make him realise how much he cares. Though the fact that I wouldn't survive the experience of shaking Nick keeps my hands firmly at my sides. : ) His developing relationship with Jamie in this book was adorable. The way Jamie learns to trust him completely and how Nick is fiercely protective over Jamie as if he was already part of his family was enough to make me want to huggle them both in a big happy circle. Although once again, I wouldn't like my chances of survival.

And now I get to Jamie, oh Jamie! You wonderful, amazing, deep, caring, witty, fabulous creature you! I wish he was my best friend, I wish he was my brother, I wish I could communicate with him in any way shape or form as he is so fabulous. I may rename this book, “The Story Where Everyone Loves Jamie” And damn right they should. He is a wonderful, amazing character and he brings out my fan girl muchly. He is just so witty! Every line he has either makes me chuckle or love him just a little bit more. He is so caring and fiercely loyal and towards the end of the book shows an inner strength that surprised even me. Also, Did I mention the wit? The lines that his character speaks are so entertaining that I could quote every one of them here, though then this review would be even longer, and it's pretty epic as it is! I loved his interactions with the rather new character of Seb and they broke my heart just a little. The way he threw himself so completely into new relationships with both Nick and Gerald, giving them both so much trust and capacity to hurt him. Oh! Oh Jamie! I feel my love for you is eternal and if anyone ever dares to hurt you they will have to face me *looks menacing* *twitches* *attempts menacing look again* I loved the reveal of his relationship with his mother and how much he cared, I also found her character to be fairly kick ass as well! Who knew Mae and Jamie were hiding her at home? : )

The story is a maze of twists and turns and you never quite know who to trust or who to believe in. Though throughout the book you get the wonderful character's relationships, pain and motivations to keep you turning page after page. They are so wonderful and vibrant and they leap out of the story at you. I wish I could keep them with me when I put the book down, as life will seem just a little bit duller without them. Also, have you seen the cover? It's so beautiful, I love Mae sitting nicely next to her matching Nick companion, she's all pink and silver and lovely. : ) I am anxiously awaiting the third book in this trilogy!

Read about my meeting with Sarah Rees Brennan HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment