Monday 24 May 2010

Radiant Shadows By Melissa Marr (3.5/5)

The characterisation in this book, like the ones proceeding it, was wonderful. Melissa Marr has a great skill of creating realistic, believable characters. In this story we get a closer look at the previously mentioned characters Ani and Devlin. Their relationship was an interesting one and I really enjoyed how they were both trying to figure out their own place in their different courts, and yet feeling like they didn't really belong to them for different reasons. I felt like the affection they expressed towards each other was well paced, and even though they felt somehow connected it wasn't in a sickly sweet way as they acknowledged it wouldn't be too shocking for one to kill the other! The character of Rae was interesting in her own way, her skills and history were good aspects of the book, although her relationship with both Devlin and Ani was a little strange in an “overly familiar without being corporeal way” O_o As entertaining as I found the characters however, they were not my favourite part of the novel.

My favourite parts were the parts including the background characters, which weren't as frequent as I would have liked, as this author has a great skill with her background characters, none of them ever feel superfluous or unnecessary, I loved all of the parts that involved Irial, Niall and Seth. Seth's parts were some of the most intriguing. I love the concept that this recently non human has become such a friend of all of the court's, even though they are all battling and at the throats of one other. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, he is so easy to like and yet not so nice that he seems false or overly nauseating in his affection. I just want to pat him on the head and croon at him in soft tones, bless him. : )

Now onto Irial and Niall, Oh my! I love them, I adore t heir interactions. They are so very snarky and edgy with one another and yet this lays on top of such a layer of deep, unalterable affection. They have meant a lot to one another for centuries and yet they often disagree over one another's actions. They probably found it easier to justify hating each other when they were in opposition, now they are on the same side things are a little more complicated when they don't agree. The love and dedication they feel for one another is brilliant to read about, and a certain scene near the end of the book is one of the only moments that made me feel quite emotional whilst reading this story. I love Irial's casual attitude, though this may have something to do with the fact that he is supposed to be the King of Temptation, that rewards him a certain amount of arrogance!

My one criticism of this book is that is isn't very plot driven. This is obviously because it was so focused on the characters, but it still makes it more of a study of brilliant personalities than a race to the end. This is good in it's own way, but I've read other books that combine the two differently, causing the book to be non optional reading. This book was still an easy read, and I got through it in about two days, but it wasn't a hysteria inducing read. I still really enjoy reading about these characters though, mostly for the way they casually all interlink through their own motivations and desires and yet these same feelings have an extreme effect on the land of Faerie that go beyond their comprehension. These connections through various relationships are the best thing about this series in my opinion.

Currently Reading: The Demon's Covenant By Sarah Rees Brennan

0 comments:

Post a Comment