Tuesday 4 October 2011

Skellig By David Almond (3/5)

“Michael steps into the crumbling garage... What is this thing beneath the spiders' webs and dead flies? A human being, or a strange kind of beast never seen before? The only person Michael can confide in is Mina. Together, they carry the creature out into the light, and Michael's world changes forever.”

My favourite part of Skellig isn't actually one involving the title character. I loved the realism of watching Michael and his parents attempt to live their everyday lives whilst every moment is weighed down with their worry that their new baby won't survive. His parents were such believable characters. I could feel their stress and fear and their determination to believe the best and get on with everyday tasks. I felt as if I was reading a real life account of a family worrying about the life of their premature baby, this managed to create an intense atmosphere that continued through out the book. The baby's delicate state is nicely mirrored in the vulnerability of the baby birds that Michael’s new friend Mina is watching carefully in her garden. The birds qualities are then reflected in the angelic character of Skellig. I liked the sense that all of the characters in the book were connected, almost in a cycle. David Almond's writing is very down to earth and the world he creates feels familiar. I feel like I can relate to his characters and see people from my own childhood in them. The whole thing is just so real and the setting of the book feels like being reminded of an old friend who I had previously forgotten.

Even the character of Skellig who is heavily hinted to be a supernatural creature, an Angel, is portrayed as very human in his interactions, moods and attitude. He craves dark ale and Chinese food and has lost all of his optimism and enthusiasm for existence. It takes two very kind and open minded children to show him that life can be quite a beautiful and worthy thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment