Thursday 15 July 2010

The Thief By Megan Whalen Turner (4/5)

A fabulous book containing wonderful characterisation enfolded in world building so deep you feel like you are there. Considering this first book is pretty much just a journey it is never dull and I finished it within a day. It reminded me of fairy tales I used to read as a child and I can completely understand why it was awarded with the Newbery Honor award. It is so rich in detail and yet it isn't overwhelming or so complex it detracts from the plot. It isn't really a book where you race to the finish line but one you can savour comfortably and read for hours without realising that any time has passed at all, each page can be enjoyed individually, which is unique to me. I usually only enjoy books when I am racing towards the conclusion. This book was a pleasant switch from my usual habits. I found that it read like I was watching a film, the visuals were brilliant and the pace was measured. It would make a great movie I'm sure!

The character of Gen was a brilliant one. He is snarky, sneaky and capable of causing much swooning amongst ladies, when he has bathed that is. : ) I loved reading a book from his perspective. I have a great weakness for cheeky heroes with slight attitude problems. I will seek help about this soon I am sure *lies blatantly* I never ever tired of his character, and whether he was conning people out of their belongings, picking pockets, insulting soldiers or disrespecting royalty, I greedily devoured every word. The revelation of his character towards the end of the book just made me love him more. He is so gloriously described and flushed out that I feel as though I've met him. *loves*

The other four characters that accompany/drag Gen on his travels are all written wonderfully. Their characters are described and developed with great skill. I feel like I got to know each of them in detail. They were so realistic and I almost felt as though I was riding a horse along side of them. (Though I would have fallen off often and embarrassed myself horribly more than once, Hehe)

I can't wait to fall into this world again in the next book. I can picture myself already, climbing a tree and making myself comfortable or sitting in a big arm chair with a huge mug beside me. I think I'm going to enjoy this series a lot and it's a refreshing change from the type of books I usually read. This may be the first book I've been able to fall into because of the world it provided. Rather than falling into a book which altered this world, like urban fantasy. I'm glad I have began on this journey.

Currently Reading: The Queen of Attolia By Megan Whalen Turner

0 comments:

Post a Comment